Staying Safe During New Years
Friday, December 27, 2013
Whether you’re hosting a lavish party for New Year’s Eve, attending another’s extravaganza, or just heading to a quiet nook for a few drinks, it is important to plan ahead and stay aware of your surroundings.
New Year’s Day is the second most deadly for drivers, with an elevated risk for pedestrians due to alcohol consumption and dangerous weather conditions. To keep you and others safe, follow these guidelines for New Year’s Eve celebrations:
- Predetermine the designated driver. Deciding who will remain sober to drive ahead of time will allow you to enjoy the night, without endangering yourself.
- If intoxicated, call a cab, take the transit, or phone a friend. Whatever you do, don’t drink and drive.
- Don’t be afraid to take the keys from an inebriated friend. Although he or she may be frustrated at first, they’ll thank you later.
- Always buckle up. Once you find a sober ride, make sure you and all passengers wearing safety belts. While you may take extra care to prevent an accident, others on the roads may not be so cautious.
If injured in a drunk driving accident, victims may be eligible for compensation from the driver. Possible defendants and sources of recovery are:
- Your own health and underinsured auto insurance
- The drunk driver’s auto insurance
- The individuals who supplied the driver with alcohol
- The bar, restaurant, or host who provided alcohol after the driver was noticeably intoxicated
If you are injured in a drunk driving accident, it is important to contact an experienced attorney immediately. Insurers often hope to settle injury cases quickly before the extent of an injury is know and with as little money as possible.
A legal professional can help determine the amount of compensation you truly deserve. At McAleer Law, we can review any settlement offer an insurance company is extending in an initial consultation at no cost or obligation to you. We will help you understand what is an appropriate settlement and fight for you to receive one. If injured in a drunk driving accident, contact us at www.McAleerLaw.com.
Best wishes for a happy, and safe New Year’s Eve!